Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pattern Review McCalls 7018

Keeping with my utilitarian sewing, I've made another top to wear. It's McCalls 7018. 


Try as I might I couldn't get a decent inside photo so I had to muster the ambition to drag my dressform to the backyard!

Pattern Description: Loose-fitting tops and tunic have front button closure, back yoke, sleeve, pocket and collar variations, and narrow hem. Designed for medium weight moderate stretch knit fabrics
Pattern Sizing: 8-22 I sewed the size 20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so




Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't really use the instructions. The pattern is rated Easy. Easy doesn't necessarily mean easy, it mostly refers to the pattern not having many pieces. Translated that means there are not a lot of fit opportunities in the pattern. You must have the knowledge to go it alone
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the idea of collar, stand, and button-up sewn in a knit fabric

Fabric Used: ITY faux lace fabric along with faux leather
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I sewed View E with the collar from View B. I made an erect back adjustment on the back yoke and added a horizontal dart at the side seam. I also changed the sleeve to 3/4 length and added the cuff. The underside of my yoke, collar and stand are made from the fashion fabric and not the faux leather.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm sure I'll sew this pattern again and would highly recommend to others. Be warned that the front of View E is not as long as you might think. This top ends right at the top of my crotch. If not for the high-low profile I would have had to make it either longer or shorter
Conclusion: Winner, winner, chicken dinner!



9 comments:

  1. Great blouse! I'm thinking about doing a knit and pleather project. How are you planning to launder your blouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am impressed, dragging your dressform outside! The only way my dressform is leaving my house is if I ever move again.
    Great looking shirt. Hope your asthma is improving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting top. Never would have thought of using the faux leather. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the faux leather that you've added to the blouse. It really makes the blouse special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blouse! I really like the faux leather accents.

    ReplyDelete